Monday, March 16, 2009

Chapter 4: There she goes again...

A Potty Party? Does Bitsy really have to celebrate every minor and major event? : )

2 comments:

  1. Well maybe this potty party show us again how very special Jin-Ho is to Bisty?

    Also, I found Sami intersting! He tried to be and become a real American! He is a character Anne Tyler painted in a positive manner (at least how I read so far)... Being accepted by the main culture is a challenging internal process for immigrants.

    And at the end of the chapter 4, the two husbands pushed (physically) then hugged each other. Confrontation can be quite positive! It is necessary to communicate with others what they have said or did would make you feel hurt. Will it be the story that the two families got closer after this event... I am still at Chapter 5 so I look forward to finding it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claudia - I think you raise a really good point I hadn't thought about. As annoying as Bitsy seems, the special attention she gives to every milestone and anniversary definitely shows her love for Jin Ho.

    I did enjoy getting to know Sami better in this chapter. He is an interesting character, and he is definitely torn between two cultures. In certain contexts, he is glad he doesn't speak Farsi. It "relieved him of the burden of keeping up his end of things" when the Iranian men are chatting at the Arrival Day Party, but he is surprised and pleased when he finds himself speaking Farsi with Susan.

    I think the fight between Brad and Sami is quite funny! It's interesting how it made Sami feel like a wild and crazy American guy.

    ReplyDelete