Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Chapter 6: Rose-colored glasses

I enjoyed reading about Maryam's trip to visit her cousin Farah - what a character! I think it's interesting how Farah reminisces about Iran and how wonderful it is. Of course it's easy to remember only the good things when you are far away and/or much time has passed since your last visit.

When I returned to the U.S. after living in Italy for a year, everything about Italy was wonderful! I conveniently forgot the difficulties and negative things. Sometimes I still catch myself daydreaming about how great it would be to return. But these days, I only spend my vacation in Italy, and it certainly wouldn't be as relaxing if I lived and worked there.

4 comments:

  1. yes yes yes! I am living in the US and how very much I miss my country... more and more I remember many good things besides my family and my friends. If I know I am in a country/place for a short period of time (say a few months or a few years), I would definitely appreciate the country/place much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lived outside Spain (my country of origin) for more than 6 years, and it is interesting how I have become to appreciate a lot of things that I didn’t like that much before. Sometimes I realize that I am actually “idealizing” it a little bit too much... Maybe I would be disappointed whenever I go back. But in the distance, the feeling is nice.
    I guess I sympathize with Farah –and even with the eccentric or weird things of her husband, which I guess just loves her too much and wants to please her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also miss my country, but I guess I'm lucky because I'm not very far from it, and it's quite easy to go there. I went there last January and I'm going back this summer. I miss many things, specially my family, because I know, although I'm not so far away, I'm missing many things. I also miss some foods which I haven't been able to get here. I try using substitutes and, although they are not the same, I get excited tasting those "close-to-be" mexican flavors. But whant is funny is that last January, while I was there, I was invited to have breakfast, and instead of choosing a mexican restaurant, I chose IHOP, I guess I wanted to share with my mother and my aunt something about home here in Boston...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on this subject! My husband and I always say "there's no perfect place". You'll always find something to love and something to hate wherever you live.

    I imagine that how you feel about your new city or your home country changes over time. It can be a very different experience if you're only living abroad for one year or if you are planning to live in a new country permanently. How you feel will depend on whether you're a visitor, a new immigrant, or a permanent resident.

    Carla, I love that you wanted to share a bit of the U.S. with your family when you were in Mexico. Moving to another country is a life-changing experience, and it's hard when your family and friends don't know what your daily routine is like in Boston.

    ReplyDelete