Friday, March 27, 2009

Did I forget anything?

We're at the halfway point in the book. I've tried to bring up a variety of topics about the book, but I'm wondering if there is something you would like to talk about that I haven't mentioned yet.

6 comments:

  1. I think it has been great, Jennifer. I feel I am reading the book with a more interesting approach and a wider perspective that if I was reading it on my own. I am looking forward to reading your comments about the next chapters. It seems that we are going to have the chance to get to know Dave Dickinson a little bit better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Macarena - I'm so glad you are enjoying the book. I look forward to seeing where the next chapters take us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am getting slow with the book; the stories of every character sometimes seems overwhelming.

    I am in Chapter 6. Bisty's dad, Dave has an affection on Maryam, all in a sudden. The change, from willing Connie to liking Maryam, came quickly. I wonder, is this quite "american"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, I also questioned myself about Dave's interest in Maryam. To me, it looks more like Dave feels sad, alone, and missing his wife a lot. Maybe he felt a big emptiness and he thought he could fill it with Maryam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if Dave's behavior is typically American. I agree with Carla that he is feeling lonely, and it makes sense that he would want to spend time with Maryam, since she truly understands what it is like to lose a spouse. I do think Maryam is right to resist everyone's efforts (including Dave's) to push them together. While it seems like they would get along and they are both alone, and it would be convenient for the rest of the family, I'm not sure there is enough in common to sustain a relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree there is no sense in forcing a relationship. However, I wonder what is really behind Maryam reluctance to any encounter with Dave.
    Regarding Dave, I also think it might be more a loneliness issue. I don’t think (or maybe I don’t want to think) is a feeling that can be compared to or that interferes with his love towards Connie. He might just need or want some real empathy.

    ReplyDelete