We learn more about Bitsy in this chapter, her history and her marriage to Brad. I don’t know if I like her any better, but seeing a more vulnerable side of her makes are a little more sympathetic. At one point, Bitsy looks back on her life and thinks she has nothing to do in her life, other than to care for Jin Ho. No wonder she feels so much pressure to be the perfect parent.
At the Arrival Party, Bitsy feels out of place in her own kitchen when Ziba and Maryam are making tea. When Ziba says she remembers the smell of Susan when she first arrived, Bitsy feels sad because she doesn’t have the same kind of memories. I cannot understand why Bitsy feels at times envious and competitive with the Yazdans, especially with Maryam. What is it about their personalities that don't seem to mix?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Maybe different cultures... I don't know, but I guess the smell, for example, is important for some cultures and not so much for anothers. I think, besides the Iranian-American difference, you really find big differences between same culture families... which is good, every time you spend with others is an opportunity to learn more and get a richer culture for your own.
ReplyDelete...but I still believe Bitsy wants to be Mrs. Right and she has problems accepting a different way to rise children.
Bisty is a sincere woman, as much as I would like to believe, through her amazing efforts to maintain Jin-Ho's origin. Sadly, this doesn't make her a pleasant person. Bisty seems to me like a narrow-minded person. Her world fulls of "one-way" communications and reflections, therefore, possibly her knowledge on the world is quite limited.
ReplyDeleteOh I wanted to say Thank you to Jennifer, who introduced such a great book. I really enjoyed my 1st discussion today.
Thanks for writing Claudia - I had a wonderful time today too!
ReplyDelete