Monday, March 23, 2009

First Person Plural

To further explore Korean adoption, I'd like to invite you to join me in viewing the documentary "First Person Plural"

Friday, March 27
Room opens at 11:45 a.m.
Film starts promptly at 12 noon
E23-297

In 1966, Deann Borshay Liem was adopted by an American family and was sent from Korea to her new home. Growing up in California, the memory of her birth family was nearly obliterated until recurring dreams lead Borshay Liem to discover the truth: her Korean mother was very much alive. Bravely uniting her biological and adoptive families, Borshay Liem's heartfelt journey makes First Person Plural a poignant essay on family, loss, and the reconciling of two identities.

Learn more at http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2000/firstpersonplural/

Happy reading and see you Friday!
Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. Thanks to everyone who joined me for the video. Although the Korea of the 1950s and 60s is different from Korea today, it is interesting how many adoptees have the same longing to learn about their birth families and birth countries, no matter whether they were adopted in the 60s or the 80s or whether they were infants or 5 years old when they left their birth country. There is something powerful about being around people who look like you when you've grow up with a family who doesn't.

    I was also touched by the fact that while Deann hoped that traveling to Korea would heal her loss, it also brought up new feelings and complications. I imagine her feelings of belonging to her American and Korean families will continue to change over her lifetime. The documentary was made around 10 years ago, I wonder how she feels about her identity and her families now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I looked on the web today for more information about Deann (Borshay Liem), and read that she is working on a new film about what happened to Hee Gang Cha, the little girl whose identity was passed off as her own. It looked like the work is presently in post-production...although it was a little hard to tell. - Janet F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for looking into that Janet. A following film would be very interested. I'll keep my eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete