Maryam says she would never be friends with the Hakimis in Tehran. Living abroad is a wonderful opportunity to get to know people you wouldn’t otherwise meet, but do you feel obligated to interact socially with people from your home country?
When I was living abroad, I was approached by some Americans who invited me to their home. I agreed to go, mostly because they were the first Americans I had met after being away from home for several months. I didn't really enjoy their company, and I decided not to spend any more time with them, even although they kept calling me and inviting me over. I was an au pair at the time, and I'll always remember what the mother I worked for said to me - "Jennifer, you have the whole rest of your life to spend with crazy Americans. Take advantage of your year abroad to spend time with different people." Good advice!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment