After Mori's description of her home life, it was a relief to read about her visits to the beauty salon with her mother. I felt better knowing that there were spaces where Takako could relax and feel at ease. While I enjoy spending time with men, spending time with other women feels like getting back to my home base, my comfort zone.
Here in the US, I think women now have to make a conscious effort to create a women's only space. It's rare these days that I go somewhere that has traditionally been for women(hairdresser, yoga class, even baby showers) and there isn't at least one man present. When I visit other countries or read about other cultures, it seems like the lives of women and men are more separate and clearly defined.
I'd be curious to know what the traditional women's gathering places or events in your country.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
In India(Southern part)we have a function for lord Ganesha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganesha)in which all women in house gather and perform special pooja (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pooja)
ReplyDeletewhere men should not participate or eat any of the food prepared for that pooja ,but the funniest part is women do this kind of pooja for the well being of her husband.
Well, when women get together we often talk about (and complain about) our husbands, boyfriends, partners, right? They are often the topic of conversation when I get together with my girlfriends.
ReplyDeletei second that Jennifer,and more importantly we talk about food and fashion ..
ReplyDelete