Given Mori's childhood, I can understand how she struggled to feel at ease in her marriage. I think it is very interesting how she uses the differences in where she and her husband wanted to live to explain the troubles in their marriage. I can see how she would fear being trapped and isolated in the kitchen, like her mother.
I know there are women who are happy to work at home and to run the household, but I wonder if this happiness is based on the ability to choose to stay at home. I imagine Takako did not have a choice about working inside or outside of the home.
Which leads me to think about choice and sacrifice in a marriage. Mori says of her marriage "no matter what we decided, one of us would have to make a sacrifice if we were to stay together" (page 102). Do you think sacrifice is inevitable in a marriage? Can one achieve a true compromise in a relationship?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is a very interesting topic. I think it is necessary that people change something after the marriage. But it depends on the personalities whether they think the "change" is "sacrifice" or not. I don't think it is "sacrifice". Actually I quit my job to come here because of my husband's job. Someone may think it is "sacrifice". But I think I am "lucky" because I can try a lot of things different from the previous job (researcher). I really enjoy Boston's life meeting many people from different cultures. And it is exciting to imagine I will be trying different jobs from the previous job after going back to Japan!
ReplyDeleteHave you ever heard the phrase "with change comes great opportunity"? Perhaps we are better served by thinking about the good things that can come with change, rather than by focusing on the "sacrifice" and what we are giving up. There is so much that can be gained when we move or get married or change jobs.
ReplyDelete