Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Spring 2010 Book Selection...

Polite Lies: On Being a Woman Caught Between Cultures by Kyoko Mori

Author Kyoko Mori grew up in Japan and moved to the US in her twenties. Using her childhood memories from Japan and her experiences living in America, Mori explores a variety of topics (language, family, home) and gives us an opportunity to talk about living in and understanding another culture.

Starting the week of February 15, I'll be writing about Polite Lies (one chapter per week) here on the Stories of Belonging blog. Guest blogger and spouses&partners@mit member, Miwako Yoshimizu, will also be posting regularly.

We'll discuss Mori's memoir together and share our thoughts about crossing cultures, personal history, language, memories, and other topics. Please read long with us and join the conversation online.

Read more about the book here.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so interesting. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Miwa from Japan. This book gives us a good chance to think about "culture".
    I will write my agreement and disagreement with the writer's opinion.
    I am looking forward to discussing this book together!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone,
    I just start reading this.
    I'm very happy to join you.

    Motoko in Fukuoka, JAPAN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Motoko - I'm so glad you will join us from Japan as we read this memoir together. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete