Friday, April 30, 2010

Chapter 11: Shame

Parts of this chapter were difficult to read, and it is hard to write about the public masturbation that Mori witnessed on a train in Japan. I know that these things happen all over the world, and I know that many women (not just Japanese women) are "embarrassed or pressured into silence" when they have been subjected to "minor sexual incidents", such as men fondling women's breasts and buttocks. I imagine it is pretty common that women can be made to feel that these situations are somehow their fault, that they somehow provoked the man. Mori talks about the woman who reported threatening comments made by her boyfriend to the police. Instead of offering her protection, the police accused her of not being a good girlfriend.

I know that many of us have personally experienced or witnessed this type of assault. It makes me angry that women often feel ashamed of what happened to them.

I do understand the conflict that a woman might feel in a culture where it is not acceptable to break the silence and call attention to the disturbing acts that are taking place. But how can we break the cycle of these "minor sexual incidents" and the more serious incidents of assault and violence?

Are you interested in changing the MIT environment around sexual violence one conversation at a time? Stop by the Student Center today (April 30) to sign the pledge! Learn more at http://web.mit.edu/whiteelephant/schedule.html

2 comments:

  1. Such sexual incidents are serious and unforgivable problems. But actually it is difficult to prevent the incidents completely. I think that women have to change and also society has to change. These changes may be given by the edification by media and education in family and school. In Japan, I saw on TV a few female victims revealed their sexual incidents and appealed for the decrease of such unforgivable crimes. I am really proud of their courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Miwa - the women who stand up against violence are very courageous!

    ReplyDelete