Friday, April 30, 2010

Chapter 11: Safety

I often think that moving from a big city to a rural area (or vice versa) can be a bigger culture shock than moving to a new country. If you're not used to city living, it can take some time to get used to it. I grew up in the suburbs, and even though I love visiting cities, I don't think I would be very happy living in one. For example, I hate when there are multiple doors and stairwells between me and the outdoors.

Mori says she feels "safe in big cities, not because I underestimate the crime rate, but because I know how to interpret what I see. A bad neighborhood looks like a bad neighborhood, in ways that I cannot explain to someone who knows." Do you agree with this? I am curious to know what you do to feel safe in Boston.

4 comments:

  1. A friend I made here was perplexed as to why I would consider Boston a safe city since its crime rate is probably higher than Singapore's. (BTW, Singapore is one of the safest country in the world and a young woman can walk around at 4am without any fear.) But I feel that Boston and Cambridge do not generate any anxiety in me perhaps because of two reasons:
    1) I'm living on the MIT campus and campuses always feel safer.
    2) Having grown up in a city, I always tend to feel safer in cities where I'm surrounded by people, than in the countryside where the neighbour is a good drive away.

    Perhaps I've watched too many horror movies (think Clockwork Orange) but being in an isolated house in the countryside makes my imagination run wild!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Raintree - after having lived in an apartment or condo for the past 15 years, it would be hard for me to sleep alone in a house if there aren't neighbors close by. I could probably get used to it, but it would take awhile. Being around people definitely feels safer.

    I feel safe at MIT knowing that the campus police can arrive wherever I am in 2 minutes. Luckily I've never had to call them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I know only a part of Boston, I think Boston is as safe as suburbs in Japan. In my opinion, the reason is that Boston is a cultural, traditional and educational fulfilling city. There are several famous universities, research institutes, museums and cultural groups (for example, Boston Symphony Orchestra and Boston Ballet).
    The rate of crimes increases by degree of people's frustration. In the dangerous cities, people may have various stresses caused by economical or psychological poorness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you raise an important point Miwa. The part of Boston you are familiar may be very safe, but there are other areas and neighborhoods that can be dangerous. Boston, as many other big cities, is very segregrated and is a mix of safe and unsafe areas. However, as we discussed at the meeting on Wednesday, women always have to watch out for their safety no matter where they are.

    ReplyDelete