Monday, April 27, 2015

Chapter 6: Snacking on the world

I enjoyed reading the author's description of the difference in travel style between herself and Felipe. Felipe, an experienced traveler, actually prefers to settle in one place, and has the talent to find himself at home anywhere in the world in a very short period of time. But Liz, enamoured by novelty and motivated by restlessness, describes herself as "snacking on the world" but at the end of the day knows there is really only one place she can feel at home.

Are you more like Liz or Felipe? I think the bigger question here is what you need to feel at home. When Davide first came to the US, although our plan was to settle in the US for the long term, I told myself  I had to be prepared for the day when he woke up and decided he wanted to move back to Italy. For me, that was the biggest leap of faith in deciding to get married. Was I willing to follow him, if that meant throwing my career prospects into total uncertainty and leaving my family behind?

I've never had to make that choice, and the longer we are together, the less I worry about him wanting to leave the US or about me following him. He is my family now. But it still makes me think about that question - what makes a home for me? The people I love, a quiet place to drink my tea and read a book, a tree that I can watch change over the seasons and a place to take a walk and think. Could I be at home anywhere in the world? Hard to say. What about you?

2 comments:

  1. I think am more like "LIZ" Also, I agree to the point that it is hard to say that what makes a "home feeling ". I think when I am with my mother drinking a cup of tea sitting near the seashore gives me sensation of completeness though we share a special bond of transparency intact I must say that she adapts with the time. Wherever I go in the world but at the end when I am back at home with her, I feel so relaxed, calm, no complexity of thoughts in my mind even if she is just sitting beside me I feel safe and peaceful. But now and as we know that time never remains the same after Marriage lot of things changes like now its my responsibility that I have to take care of my In-laws, My Baby and my husband now they all make my home. But after all this at endif the day I get chance to call or msg my mom just to say "HI" from seven oceans, from a different country apart which makes my eyes always wet that one day for sure I will be Rejuvenate these memories again.

    Thanks a lot for uploading !!
    Mansi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mansi - that is so beautiful, what a loving tribute to your mother. In the podcast that inspired our "what did you bring in your suitcase?" meeting, when someone was asked what they regret not bringing with them when they moved to a new country, they said "my mother". I hope you and your daughter will have that same ability to sit with each other so peacefully.

      Delete