This chapter was an interesting read, as it didn't only deal with marriage but also dealt with family/community issues.
Lizzy points to the fact that child-rearing and marriage are inherently linked in our culture and in our minds that making other choices is quite tough. Do you agree?
"First comes love, then comes marriage, and then comes baby in the baby carriage"
Her description of her grandmother and mother's choices I enjoyed a lot and I thought this following statement was a very intriguing one. It makes me want to know more about the stories of the women in my own family and the women in surroundings as I grew up (the moms of my friends).
"The fact remains that while
our family as a whole profited immensely from my mother’s quitting her career,
her life as an individual did not necessarily benefit so immensely. In the end,
she did just what her female predecessors had always done. She sewed winter
coats for her children from the leftover material of her heart’s more quiet
desires." Further on in the chapter she says "Some people suggest that female economic independence is destroying happy marriages, but they don't realise that many women (over the centuries) stayed in wretched marriages because they could not afford to leave." This is quite true and may also imply to men.
The author talks about the "Marriage Benefit Imbalance", where she states that women generally lose in exchange of marriage vows, while men win big time. Although later on in the chapter she gives the example of her parents and notices that both men and women have to give up a bit of themselves when entering a marriage. As women become more autonomous (as is the case in our current society), the MBI diminishes. To some extent I agree with this point. What is your opinion?
...such a system demands
that mothers become selfless to the point of near invisibility in order to
construct these exemplary environments for their families. Can we all someday
join a larger conversation about how we might work together as a society to
construct a world where healthy children can be raised and healthy families can
prosper without women having to scrape bare the walls of their own souls to do
it?
Here Lizzy nicely adds in the Aunties brigade and gives many examples of childless women in the past centuries who have had an important role in taking care of other's children. This can help construct a healthy society. It is a nice thought.
Shakti - It definitely is the problem with no name, and sometimes I have a really hard time when the issue of juggling or balancing work and life is presented solely as a woman's or mother's problem. Until we start defining this issue in terms of humans or parents, I don't know how far we will get in resolving it. I have been thinking a lot recently about a book I read a while ago (I think it was "The Overworked American" by Juliet Schor). She made an interesting proposal about allowing parents of young children to have extended paid parental leave, essentially allowing them to drop out of the workforce to raise their kids. This would then allow older workers to remain in the workplace longer, which would be appealing to many who feel like they are forced into early retirement and not valued by employers later in their career, when they still feel they have a lot to offer. I'm not exactly sure how the economics of that would work, but the idea is very innovative solution to a problem that feels hard to solve. It certainly wouldn't work for everyone nor would everyone want to do this, but as long as we keep making women and parents feel isolated and that they have to figure out solutions individually, everyone suffers.
ReplyDeleteEven better, could there be a way to expand the conversation of quality of life and work for all humans, regardless of whether or not they are parents? Is anybody served by looking at these issues in a "parents v. non-parents" framework? Nothing makes me madder than pitting women against women, whether it's the moms v. women without children or the stay at home moms v. working moms. It simply distracts us from the bigger more important concerns - job and educational opportunities, a healthy and sustainable economy, childcare and healthcare for all.
That's sounds like an interesting book I would like to read Jennifer. Yes on of the other issues is of older people feeling 'redundant' once they have to quit working at a certain age. The solution you have sketched here does sound quite appealing to me to, don't know how it would work in practice though but it wouldn't harm thinking about such strategies in more detail.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, there always seems to be a divide mom/non-mom, working/non-working. A few years ago I realized that even without having kids I could work a bit less just to gain the quality of life and work balance that I desired.....it should be for all humans regardless of parenting or not.
Yes! It makes think of a podcast I listened to yesterday where they were talking about everyone having the right to to do work they love and that has impact, whether it's paid or charity or for the pure joy of doing it. A radical idea, but in a society so focused on making money equaling success, wouldn't be amazing to value all of the unseen and unpaid work that happens, like caring for children and the elderly and much more.
Delete