Monday, March 16, 2015

Announcing our next read: Committed - A Love Story by Elizbeth Gilbert



I am excited to announce the start of a new online book club. I recently read “Committed – A Love Story” by Elizabeth Gilbert, the author of “Eat Pray Love”. As soon as I started reading it, I couldn’t believe I hadn’t read it sooner! Her story is very similar to mine, and perhaps similar to yours. She was in a long term committed relationship, and suddenly she found herself in a situation which immigration laws made marriage the only way she could stay together with her partner in the US. Sound familiar? So having been divorced once and promising herself that she would never get married again, the author dedicated herself to studying and understanding marriage from many perspectives: personal, historical, familial, sociological, cultural. The result is an engaging and thought provoking book about marriage and her journey to make peace with it.

As I read this book, I wanted to talk to someone about what I was reading. What better group to share my thoughts and questions with than you and MIT spouses&partners? So I’ve invited Shakti Lieten (www.shaktiscorner.wordpress.com) to help me blog about Committed over the next 8 weeks. We’ll read one chapter per week, and Shakti or I will post our thoughts here on Mondays. We welcome your comments and thoughts about the book here. We will also schedule two in-person discussion meetings (sometime during the weeks of April 13 and May 11).

So start reading and we’ll see you back here on March 23!

No comments:

Post a Comment