Friday, May 7, 2010

Chapter 12: Home

I loved this chapter, such beautiful images and longing for home. Mori talks about how "landscape is more potent than culture" (page 253) which gets back to the idea of 'cultural' differences between big cities and rural area. Mori longs for the sea and the mountains and how she can orient herself between the two in her hometown.

How do you orient yourself? Growing up on the East Coast, I find myself needing to know where the water is (either a river or the sea) to understand where I am. I know some people need the mountains in the this way. I can't imagine living in a land-locked state or country. Too strange for me. Even if I don't go to the sea very often, I like knowing I can get there within a couple of hours.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jennifer. I also love this chapter. The description is so beautiful.
    Regarding how I orient myself, I think I need moderate numbers of houses and shops since I grew up in the suburb. I may not be able to live in the middle of the city even though it is convenient to live there. At the same time, I cannot live in the countryside where few houses and shops are. I may need the balance between busyness and calmness.

    ReplyDelete