Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Chapter 9: Jin Ho

I really enjoyed this chapter, especially hearing Jin Ho's perspective for the first time. I was not surprised that she hates the arrival parties (poor Bitsy!).

Why do you think she hates them? She mentions not liking the food or the costumes or the video. It's so sad to think she doesn't want anything to do with Korean culture. At one point, she worries that Bitsy won't think her jeans are Korean enough, but how can Jin Ho know what it means to be Korean? As far as we know, Jin Ho doesn't have any Korean adults in her life to help her understand Korea or Korean culture. The only other Korean person she knows is Susan, and it seems like she now feels forced into that friendship. No wonder she can't imagine ever going to Korea.

However, as Bitsy says, I do think it's true that Jin Ho may value Susan's friendship in the future. I appreciate and value my sister's friendship much more now than I did when I was a child. Jin Ho and Susan can always commiserate over the Arrival Parties!

3 comments:

  1. I loved Jin Ho after this chapter! Her competitive streak with Susan was so honest. As was her longing to fit in (i.e. wear snazzy embroidered jeans.)

    I can understand why she doesn't enjoy the arrival parties. She has to share the center of attention with Susan! That and the focus of the party is on the adoption - not her. If Bitsy shifted the focus onto how happy she was to have Jin Ho, and less about memorializing the event of the adoption, then Jin Ho would be happy to party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathleen - I never thought about Jin Ho needing her own personal celebration. I wonder how Bitsy celebrated her actual birthday. And of course, kids don't want to stand out it the crowd. Jin Ho would want a "normal" birthday party like all of her friends and classmates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the book makes a great turn showing us Jin Ho point of view.
    I also loved her after this chapter. And despite her feelings about the party and all the things that she cannot have but wishes for, it makes me think that Bitsy is doing a good job by raising a normal, intelligent and sensitive kid. I think the rejection of Korean culture is just a reaction to something that reminds her that she is not “completely” American, at an age when all that a kid wants is to fit and belong, and be just like the other girls. However, I believe that in a few years she will appreciate and value everything Bitsy has done to keep her Korean roots.

    ReplyDelete