It's been awhile since we've read a book together with MIT spouses&partners, and ever since hearing about Mei-Ling Hopgood's “How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm: And Other Adventures in Parenting (from Argentina to Tanzania and everywhere in between)”, I've wanted to read this book with you.
Mei-Ling Hopgood travels around the world, observing parents and their children, as well as gathering research from anthropologists, educators, and child-care experts. And she shares her experiences and observations from her own life with her young daughter.
Whether you have children or not, I think this book will be an interesting way for us to learn from each other about the values and traditions of countries and cultures around the world. This book has already got me thinking about how I was raised by my parents, as well as how and what I am trying to teach my daughter, and what that says about American culture.
Starting February 11th, we'll be reading and blogging about a chapter each week. I encourage you to read along with us and share your thoughts on this blog. We also plan to have some in-person discussions as well.
Looking forward to reading with you!
Jennifer
I am happy you are back, and I am happy I am back too!
ReplyDeleteFor me, you have chosen just the perfect book. Not only because of the international content and the reflexion and discussion about diversity that it will allow, but also because I just had my second baby two months ago and I am looking forward to exploring and learning about different parenting styles and approaches.
Macarena M.
Congratulations Macarena! That is exciting news. I'm glad this book discussion is so timely for you.
ReplyDelete