Here's my list of favorite novels that explore culture, identity, family and acculturation.
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
Digging to America by Anne Tyler
How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents by Julia Alvarez
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
Native Speaker by Chang-Rae Lee
Clash of Civilizations Over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio by Amara Lakhous
The Strangeness of Beauty by Lydia Minatoya
Caucasia: A Novel by Danzy Senna
Please share your recommendations!
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Jennifer,
ReplyDeleteI think my reply is a tad dated. But thought I would like to share some of the books I love which cover most of the themes mentioned.
Fish cheeks by Amy Tan (my perennial favourite)
The Kite Flyer by Khaled Hosseini
Bound Feet and Western Dress by Pang-Mei Natasha Chang
Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen-Mah
Champion of the World by Maya Angelou
Thanks for the suggestions Candyc! I've read the Kite Runner, and I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns too. I'll have to add the others to my summer reading list!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the list Jennifer, have jotted them down for future reads :-)
ReplyDelete