As much as I love to witness the emotional reunions of strangers at the airport and to try to guess which arriving passengers the people around me are waiting for, I cringe each time I read the first pages of Digging to America. The Donaldsons’ very public welcome of Jin-Ho from Korea seems staged and exaggerated. I groan and think to myself “Oh these typical Americans, making a big deal of everything and calling attention to themselves.” Of course, seeing the contrast of the Yazdans quiet reunion with Sooki makes the Donaldsons’ MOM and DAD buttons and video cameras and balloons seem even more ridiculous.
It’s understandable why the Yazdans want to keep things quiet and private. But is there anything wrong with celebrating this exciting moment, the arrival of a new baby, in a public way? Perhaps what makes the difference is celebrating in the privacy of your own home rather than asking complete strangers to join your party.
In any case, this first chapter already has me wanting to know the Yazdan grandmother better, this elegant woman in the middle of Donaldsons’ airport party. I’m also wondering if the stereotypes, the publicly expressive American family versus the cool and quiet “foreign-looking” Yazdans, will hold up throughout the novel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think celebrating is fine... but no doubt they exaggerate on the welcome party. I think the correct way would've been the parents receiving Jin-Ho at the airport, and then going back home to celebrate with the rest of the family... although, this exaggeration was the opportunity for a new friendship. Also, I don't what would have happened if Ziba's parents had been there (in Baltimore)... that also makes me think the Yazdans' families, or at least the Hakimis weren't that happy and excited about the girl's arrival.
ReplyDeleteThanks Carla! I love your suggestion that by making a very private moment public, the Donaldsons were able to make a connection with the Yazdans, which might not have happened otherwise. We can only get closer to people by revealing a bit of ourselves. I guess the question is how and when we choose to share something personal.
ReplyDeleteIt's a good question about why Ziba's parents weren't at the airport. Maybe they weren't invited? Maybe they didn't want to intrude?